Thursday, January 14, 2010

In a Time of Tragedy

There is no information I can give, a river width from Haiti and 60km from Port-au-Prince, that you can't get from the news sources online. In fact, I have been waiting all day to get online myself. We shook like a carnival ride, where you can see the road, parked motorcycles and street light poles swaying back and forth, stomach lurching, paradigm shifting, but everything standing. People were out in the street, laughing and panicking, excited and dizzy. We noticably shook a couple of other times before people started getting the news on TV. A hospital had collapsed in Haiti. As we kept shaking, it started to unfold. As more information was revealed, it looked worse and worse, unfathomable. The lack of communication to Haiti became excruciating for those with family in the midts of it. My friend's brand new baby and wife are in Port-au-Prince, another friends sisters, another's parents.

After a sleepless shakey night, Wednesday felt more sad. People started crossing the border to look for their families. Some crossed just to spread the news. As of yesterday, whole Haitian towns felt the shake but had no idea the epicenter or the impact. Without communication or news, they were, and maybe some still are, in the dark about the tragedy. It seemed impossible that you could be so close to worldwide news and have no idea.

My town sits here in somber, without our normal blaring music, waiting for news of loved ones and changes that might come. They are starting to worry about where the Haitians will go, or rather, if they will try to come here. Last night, watching the news with some neighbors, we saw footage so brutal, it looked like an action film. We volunteers are thinking about what we could possibly do but it seems like money is what Haiti needs. Money for medical aid, water and food. Eventually, for rebuilding one of the most dense, underpriviledged cities in the world. As we shake this very moment, I wonder how much it is shaking there and when it will end. When will all the horror cease?

On a personal note, I want my mom. I have never felt so homesick as in these past two days. Trying to be strong and composed, to keep myself educated and aware, all I really want is my family to give me bear hugs and tell me everything will be okay. Even though, I think we all know it won't.

3 comments:

  1. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friends and the people of Haiti. Zoe and Elle are proud of their beautiful, brave Auntie Jazzy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in my heart honey.I love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are thinking of you constantly! I love you and can't wait to see you!

    Keja

    ReplyDelete