Friday, April 16, 2010

Missing Things

So I try to be positive. It´s so wonderful facing adversity, I chose to do this, I´m just lucky to have food and my limbs! That can be the mantra but it is not the truth. I am honestly happy here but sometimes I just want to feel bad for myself and miss stuff from home. Notice that I am on this island for two years and I still call the U.S. home. This entry is about the things I miss, a shameless pity party. A disclaimer is that I can find most of these in country so, I am being a bit of a poser as well as a complainer.

Feeling and Staying Clean

Real Hugs

Running Errands and Grocery Stores

Coffee Shops

Camping

Couches

Running Water

Libraries

Getting Picked Up in a Car (Literally)

Watching TV

Working and Getting Off Work

Anonymity

Carpet

Dessert, Pie and Other Baked Goods

Magazines

Socks

Working Out Followed by a Shower

Social Shopping

Parties and Dinners at Houses

I just realized that I could do this all in one day. I´m almost a year in which means halfway! In May of 2011, I´m going to go home (my parents’ house, ha ha) for a time and look back at this list. I will wake up, go on a run, take a shower, ooh bath, stay clean, put on socks, hug someone, get picked up or driven by my mom to go buy coffee and a muffin before going social shopping and visiting the library. We will stop at a grocery store to read magazines and buy food for dinner. I will sit on a couch before a dinner party, then have dessert, TV, carpet, done. Woops, camping! I´d actually settle for just the hug. I do lots of cheek kissing, some child holding and the classic upper body hug but I still miss the good ones. The real, full body, comfortable with the person embraces are few and far between. Next time I will have to be a leprechaun to make up for this complaining!

1 comment:

  1. Perfect post. Brings back memories. I can do without the carpet. If you go beyond Peace Corps and stay in the DR, getting picked up in a car will become normal again.

    You will also be back on your couch remembering the taste of the bananas, mangos and avacados and wonder why they don't taste the same. The moments on some beautiful beach on looking at a valley from a mountain side with no real responsibility is a great thing. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete