Friday, May 27, 2011

... and all that Jazz.




I am wearing a fleece coat and sequined flats. It’s time to end this blog. On May 13th, I arrived to the SEA/TAC airport excited and hungry. Ever since, I have been cautiously comfortable in my old life and so happy to be with my family. I am remembering things that I had completely forgotten like car seats, artichokes and heaters. I bop to music that brings me back and rave about whole grain cereal. Although my conversations are still a little tainted with my own self consciousness about proper English syntax and appropriate but not excessive mention of Peace Corps, I am gradually returning to a version my American self. It was inevitable that my time in the DR would change me. I have more judgment of petty complaints and impulse spending and less patience for reality TV. I also have what I hope is a temporary staring problem. Although Peace Corps is bound to fade from my life, I hope I will never completely take for granted the ease of life that I was so lucky to be born into.

I am spending the summer enjoying comfortable couches and food variety in Washington before moving to Connecticut in August for a graduate program at Yale's School of Public Health. I will embark on another two year stint at least partly enjoying the discomfort that comes with doing something I don't know how to do. Take care and thank you for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment