Monday, December 27, 2010

A Dominican Christmas

Five Holiday Moments:

1. Last year felt like a party invaded with tricked out cars, loud music and candy bars. This year, I asked where everyone was. My friend stage whispered, “Cholera!”

2. The chill. It is about sixty degrees in the evening, making it truly frigid to our Caribbean accustomed bodies. We also live in homes without insulation or windows. My cement walls are superior to wood which allow no protection from the breeze and seem to hold a lower temperature without the influence of the sun. As a result of this freeze, we have been drinking hot coffee, milk and chocolate like it’s obligatory and wearing clothes I have forgotten about. Eighties ski suits with those highlighter colored geometric shapes are all the rage. Socks and flip-flops, leggings and capris and snow jackets are often topped with Santa hats.

3. The eats! I ate with my friend Tago who made macaroni tuna, carrot potato egg salads, spaghetti and chicken eaten with very special capital raisins, apples, almonds in the shell and wine.

4. My alcohol acceptable day (or two)! Through Christmas eve and day I had beer, wine, rum and cranberry, something like champagne and Ponche, which is a very bitter yellow egg nog.

5. My friends and I sang all of the Christmas carols in the book by a bonfire when we climbed Pico Duarte. I felt more holiday spirit than I had in the two years I’ve been here.

No comments:

Post a Comment